Followers

Thursday, January 3, 2019

CNY 2019 - CRANBERRIES GERMAN COOKIES

Again, it is time to bake Chinese New Year cookies.  Last year this time was a very busy and tiring period when my mother in-law was in hospital for operation.  Time was not enough then to get the necessary things and routine done as I was juggling from home to hospital and work.
There are several cookies which I have intended to try but all set aside due to shortage of time and the worries over my in-law's condition.
Now, with things back to normal, I supposed there shall be enough time for me to get going to bake the various cookies.
German Cookies, I have baked several but I think I have not tried one with dried cranberries.  This is it, crispy, crunchy with a soft bite of the cranberry bits.
Recipe adapted from Little Duck's Kitchen with modifications
Ingredients
[makes 110 pieces]
250 gm butter - room temperature
100 gm icing sugar - sifted
250 gm potato starch
180 gm plain flour - sifted 
50 gm dried cranberries - chopped
 
  1. Beat butter and icing sugar till fluffy and lighter in color.
  2. Sift in potato starch, plain flour and mix with dried cranberries.   Fold flour mixture into cream.  Mix well into a soft dough.  Chill for 30 minutes.
  3. Pinch about 10 gm dough, roll into round and press it with a fork to make design and place  in the baking tray line with parchment paper.
  4. Bake at preheated oven at 170 degrees C for 13-15 minutes depending on the size of your cookies.
  5. Remove from oven, leave to cool completely on  a wire rack and store in airtight container.



2 comments:

Mei said...

I tried your recipe for CNY this year. At first when I ate one when it was still slightly warm, I didn't really like it as the texture wasn't what I had expected it to be (slight soft and mushy in the mouth). But after it has cooled down, it has a light, crunchy biscuit, and I can't stop eating it. Thank you for sharing the recipe! :)

Kimmy said...

Mei, many ppl thinks cookies must be eaten freshly baked. But from experience, I realised many types of cookies tasted better and more flavourful after days and keeps well in airtight containers for months. There are several cookies I baked for this CNY (haven't posted them yet) do not taste good when just out of the oven. But it tasted good when I ate them during CNY, they were good.