This is another version of fried crispy anchovies and peanuts [spicy or non-spicy] cooked in a healthy way. The anchovies and peanuts are roasted in the oven instead of deep fried. It can be spicy or non-spicy according to your own preference. It’s easy to prepare and yummy serve with porridge or Nasi Lemak. Click here on Oven Baked Crispy Anchovies
There is another version of this dish [my mum’s recipe]. The ingredients are deep fried and then fried with chilli paste and sugar. Click here to see my mum's version.
100 gm anchovies [ikan bilis] – rinsed and drained
200 gm peanuts – rinsed and drained
1 tbsp oil
2 tsp chilli paste [chilli boh]
- Remove the bones and black part - wash several times till water is clear. Set aside on colander to drain off excess water.
- Spread anchovies evenly on a baking tray. Spread peanuts evenly on a baking tray.
- Baked anchovies and peanuts separately in preheated oven at 180 degrees C on middle rack for 10-15 minutes.
- Halfway through baking, toss and spread anchovies and peanuts evenly to ensure even baking.
- Increase oven temperature to 200 degrees C and bake for a further 5-10 minutes or until anchovies are golden brown and crispy.
- Remove and set aside.
- Heat oil in a non-stick wok, sauté chilli paste until aromatic. Mix in peanuts and anchovies, sugar and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Off heat, leave to cool before storing in airtight container or serve immediately.
- For the non-spicy version, mix crispy anchovies and peanuts with sugar and salt after roasting. Store in airtight container.