The other day, I was supposed to buy pork ribs to cook soup but didn't know why I chose pork belly. My memory must be getting poor.
Without knowing what to do with the 300 gm of pork belly, I flipped through some of my recipe collections and came across this BBQ Pork Belly recipe which seems simple enough with most of the ingredients available in my kitchen.
Got down to cook it right away and this is the outcome. A very tasty pork dish, the meat is tender but still has a bite. The sauce is savoury sweet, fragrant which is nice to spread over rice. Glad that I chose this recipe to try. Instead of braising, this seasoning is good marinade for barbecue spare ribs.
300 gm pork belly with skin - cut bite size pieces
2 tbsp BBQ sauce
1 tbsp each of chopped shallots and ginger
1 tbsp light soy sauce to taste
1 tbsp honey to taste
dash of pepper
- Marinate pork belly with BBQ sauce for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat a non stick wok, add in pork belly. Reserve the marinade Pan fry until oil oozes out and meat pieces are brown.
- Push aside, add in chopped shallots and garlic. Fry until aromatic and mix well. Add in marinade and seasoning.
- Bring to boil for awhile, then add in enough water to cover the meat. Let it boil and simmer until gravy is thick and meat is tender.
- Dish up to serve with rice.