This tamarind flavored fried prawns [Assam Prawns] is supposed to be cooked with medium size prawns. I was too excited to prepare this dish that even with small prawns in hand, I went ahead to cook it. It turned out as tasty and good minus the need to shell prawns when eating them cos' I shelled the small prawns.
*If using medium or big prawns or soft shell small prawns, keep the shells intact. If small prawns are with hard shells, removed them.
The prawns are savoury, sourish and it’s a little spicy cos’ of the black pepper powder. The addition of curry leaves gives the extra aroma. The big onions provides the sweetness that blends well with the prawns.
Simple and easy dish good with steaming hot plain or coconut milk rice.
400 gm prawns [small, medium or big] – keep whole – drain dry
2 sprigs curry leaves
1 big onion – peeled and sliced
1-2 tsp sugar
½ tsp dark soy sauce
1-2 tbsp oil
Seasoning [combine and marinate prawns]
30 gm tamarind paste mixed with 2 tbsp water [discard seeds]
½ tsp black pepper powder
Dash of msg and salt
- Trim prawns and leave the shells intact *.
- Put prawns in a mixing bowl, marinate with seasoning ingredients for at least an hour. Mix well.
- Heat some oil in a non-stick wok, sauté onions for 1-2 seconds. Dish up onto serving platter.
- Reheat wok with some extra oil, add curry leaves to fry until aromatic. Add in marinated prawns and fry over medium high heat until prawns are cooked and fragrant.
- Add in sugar and dark soy sauce. Simmer until almost dry.
- Dish up and spread over fried onions. Serve.