These buns are exactly the same as cinnamon rolls with the exception that they are plain without any filling inside the rolls. After baking, the buns are turned upside down and then generously brushed with melted butter honey glaze that flows to the sides and absorbed into the buns. It tasted buttery, sweet and a hint of salty taste. Overall the buns are soft, moist and fine texture. Tasted good with the honey glaze.
Ingredients for Dough
[makes 9 or 16 rolls in a 7 inch loose bottom square pan]
250 gm bread flour
50 gm plain flour
2 tbsp milk powder
1 tbsp castor sugar
½ tsp salt
1 small egg
1 ½ tsp instant yeast
130-140 ml cold water
30 gm butter
Ingredients for Honey Glazed [mix together]
20 gm butter [melted]
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp castor sugar [optional]
- Knead all the ingredients [except butter] into a soft dough. Add in butter and continue to knead until soft, smooth and elastic. Shape into a ball, cover to proof for about 20 minutes.
- Punch down and divide into 2 equal portions [need not divide if you are making 9 buns]. Roll one portion into a rectangle, roll into a log and seal the edges well, then cut into equal portions [8 pieces if you are making 16 buns].
- Invert cut dough and place evenly on a greased baking pan. Leave to proof for 40-45 minutes or until double in size.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 degrees C for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven, loosen the edges and invert pan onto a wire rack. Remove baking pan, brush honey glaze all over buns.
- Serve warm. Sprinkle some chocolate rice over glaze if preferred.