This is not the thick and mushy type of porridge. The rice is grainy but soft and the broth is a little soupy for the Chinese crullers to soak it up. It is a very simple and easy porridge to prepare and the yambean cubes stay crunchy.
A homey porridge for the family, serve with a simple stir fry vegetables makes it a complete easy meal. Love this easy meal which is perfect for busy days.
1 ½ cups rice
2 litres water
200 gm yam bean – cubed
150 gm pork meat – cut strips
1 large egg [I used duck egg] – lightly beaten
Some chopped coriander and spring onions
Some crispy fried garlic
1 piece Chinese crullers [Eu Char Koay/Yutiao] – cut small pieces [click here on how to fry soft crullers till crispy]
2 tsp salt
½ tsp chicken stock granules or msg
½ tsp pepper
- Marinate meat strips with 1 tsp light soy sauce, wine, dash of pepper and cornstarch. Mix well and set aside.
- Boil rice with water in a big pot. Add in yam bean cubes and salt when the water boils. Cook until rice is soft over medium heat [about 30 minutes].
- Add in marinated meat to cook, stir to mix well. Pour in beaten egg and do not stir until after cooking for 10 seconds.
- Lastly add in msg, pepper and wine to taste.
- Scoop porridge into individual bowls to serve yutiao, fried garlic, chopped coriander and spring onions.