This is a Chinese way of cooking stewed pork ribs. It is very easy to prepare yet the dish is delish. The sauce is sweet, sourish and savoury. Nice colour and aromatic. Tastes much better after resting.
You can savour this dish with broccoli florets which can be added just before dishing up. Feel free to garnish it with some chopped red chilli and coriander leaves, too.
300 gm meaty spare ribs – bite size pieces
1 white carrot [about 250 gm] – peeled and cut chunks
1 red carrot [about 150 gm] – peeled and cut chunks
1 onion – cut wedges
2 star anise
2 pieces bay leaves
Enough water for braising dish
4 tbsp tomato sauce
2 tbsp each of light soy sauce and cooking wine
1 tbsp each of chilli sauce and brown sugar
Some broccoli florets - optional
- Fry star anise and onions with ½ tbsp oil in a non-stick wok until aromatic.
- Add in the carrots. Stir to mix and add in the pork ribs and seasoning.
- Stir to mix well and let it cook for 5 minutes so that the ingredients are well coated with the seasoning.
- Add in enough water to cover the ingredients [can add more water if the ribs are not tender after the sauce has reduced].
- Bring to boil, cover and lower heat to simmer until ingredients are cooked and tender [about 40 minutes]. Sauce should be reduced and thick.
- Dish up to serve.