You can replace the filling ingredients with crunchy peanut butter but mine is a more healthier version and very aromatic as I blend and mix my own.
Verdict - soft, moist, fluffy and tasty bread rolls. The dough is soft but not sticky like the texture for pau dough and easy to handle. These rolls stay soft and moist the next day even without brushing with melted butter after baking.
Ingredients for Filling
100 gm toasted peanuts
1 tbsp corn oil
30 gm castor sugar
1/4-1/2 tsp salt
- Ground toasted peanuts until crunchy. Remove about 1 tablespoon then add in the balance ingredients. Continue to grind until paste is soft and fine.
- Remove and mix in the coarse peanut bits. Set aside.
[makes 16 rolls and use 7 inch lined square tin]
250 gm bread flour
50 gm plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp skimmed milk powder
1+3/4 tsp instant yeast or 5 gm
110-120 ml water
- Mix all the ingredients in a mixing bowl [except butter]. Knead into a soft dough [about 5-10 minutes] then add in the butter.
- Continue to knead until dough is soft, smooth and elastic [about 10 minutes]. Shape into a round ball, cover and rest for 30 minutes or until double in size.
- Punch down and divide dough into 2 portions [300 gm each]. Rest for 5 minutes. Roll dough into a 7" x 15" rectangle piece. Spread filling evenly all over and roll tightly into a swiss roll. Pinch the edges well to seal. Cut into 8 equal pieces. Invert roll and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Cover and leave to proof for 50-60 minutes or until double in size.
- Before baking, brush buns with egg or milk glaze, sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- Bake in preheated oven at 200 degrees C for 12-15 minutes [lower middle shelf] or until golden brown.
- Remove and brush with some melted butter and serve immediately or cool on wire rack before packing or pipe over with frosting [I omit this step].
Note: I omit these steps
- Brushing baked rolls immediately after baking helps to keep the rolls soft and shiny.
Frosting for Rolls [stir into a smooth paste]
3 tbsp icing sugar
1 tbsp fresh milk