Followers

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Nori Layered Cake

 
Look at this cake.  I have never been more satisfied about baking cakes than this one.  Sounds odd placing a whole piece of Nori sheet in between the cake batter but it's really unique, taste and texture wise.
Out of curiosity, I baked this cake as I have several sheets of Nori seaweed leftover from making Sushi.  You can omit the green colour for one layer and use the plain colour for all the layers with the same batter.  I use thin coconut milk to replace water since there is salt in this cake recipe.  Taste good.
Texture - light, soft, moist and fluffy.
Taste - savoury sweet, has the aroma of the Nori seaweed and coconut milk
Verdict - very nice cake, my hubby gave a thumbs up and of course, a portion of it is on the way to my mother in-law.
Recipe Source - Yum Yum Magazine No. 90
Ingredients
[use 7" loose bottom square tin]
5 egg yolks 
20 gm castor sugar
100 ml water [I used thin coconut milk - dissolve 2 tbsp coconut milk powder to water]
120 gm plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
80 gm melted butter
5 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
40 gm castor sugar
2 pieces of nori sheets [7" square piece]
  1. Line the base of baking tin with parchment paper and lightly greased the sides.  Preheat oven at 140 degrees C.
  2. Combine egg yolks and sugar, mix well then stir in water [thin coconut milk].
  3. Fold in sifted flour and salt.  Mix well and stir in melted butter.
  4. Whisk egg whites until stiff peak.  Add to egg yolk batter in 3 batches.  Mix lightly with a spatula.  Divide into 3 portions.  I coloured 1 portion green, you can omit and keep the batter plain.
  5. Pour 1 portion batter into baking tin and place a piece of Nori sheet over batter.  Pour in the 2nd portion of batter and top with the Nori sheet.  Lastly, cover the Nori sheet with the remaining batter.  Shake the pan a little to smoothen the batter.
  6. Bake in oven at 140 degrees C for 40 minutes then increase the temperature to 160 degrees C, bake for a further 10-15 minutes [I baked the cake on lower temperature to prevent the cake from cracking]. The original recipe uses temperature of 180 degrees C with baking time of 25-30 minutes.
  7. Remove cake and drop baked cake in the pan from about 20 cm height onto the table top [this is to prevent the cake from shrinking too much upon cooling].
  8. Invert the cake to cool before removing from pan.
  9. Slice cake to serve.






I'm submitting this post to Little Thumbs Up June 2014 Event - Butter 
hosted by Jozelyn of Spice Up My Kitchen
Photobucket
I'm also sharing this post to Cook Your Books #13 Event hosted by 
Joyce of Kitchen Flavours
Cook-Your-Books



17 comments:

Aunty Young(安迪漾) said...

Hi Kim,
Something new to me,before this I had seen people sprinkle chocolate powder instead of places nori sheet on the batter. It is much more easier. Thanks for sharing this unique recipe.

Baking Taitai said...

Hi Kimmy, this is my first time seeing a Nori sheet used in baking and placed in between layers of cake batter, very interesting and new to me.

PH said...

Kimmy, this cake looks very attractive with the three distinct layers. Quite unusual to have seaweed as a layer on the cake. I wish I could taste it and decide if I like it.

Kimmy said...

Hi Aunty Young, this is also the first time I come across a cake recipe using a Nori sheet, some bread recipes use nori seaweed too.

Kimmy said...

Hi Cheryl, quite unusual but the cake taste good with Nori and coconut milk which I used. I suppose you can use this idea to bake a rainbow cake. Should be lovely, too.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, paiseh.. all dah habis. I like the soft texture of this cake. Try to bake one, if you don't like it, send it over, hehehe!

Karen Luvswesavory said...

Hi Kimmy, at 1st glance of your first 2 pictures, thought you'd baked the topo map love cake. Read further ... it's Nori Layered Cake. Okay I'm not a seaweed person ... small portion like sushi wrap ok. May try something like 2 - colour tone cupcakes and sprinkle some seaweed ? ^-^!

Veronica said...

Nori sheets in cakes? This is unique. Wish I could have a piece of your beautiful cake to try, Kimmy.

ann low said...

Hi Kimmy, This cake looks so unique with nori seaweed in between the cake and sounds yummy too!

Jozelyn Ng said...

Hi, Kimmy. I saw this in the yum yum magazine too...I am too curious about the taste of the nori sheet after baking ^_^
Thanks for the link up!

Kimmy said...

Hi Karen, rather unique isn't it? I have used seaweed flakes in my Clear Water Cupcakes with meat floss too. They tasted good.

Kimmy said...

Hi Veronica, my young man nephew likes it, he says it is savoury and not too sweet.

Kimmy said...

Hi Jozelyn, I was curious too and gave it a try. A workable recipe which I'm happy with it.

Lite Home Bake said...

This sounds and looks really interesting! Would love to try making it but wonder if my family members can accept it :))

Kimmy said...

Hi Lite Home Bake, let them try without telling what the black line is, hehehe! mysterious cake...

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
A super great idea with the nori sheet! Your cake looks really soft and fluffy!
Thanks for sharing with CYB!

Laghari Bedi said...

Thanks for sharing this informative information about Nori Powder with us. It's very helpful. Keep it up!