Followers

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Braised Yee Mee with Chicken and Mushrooms

How to cook the crispy Yee Mee until soft?   Very easy, you just need to soak the noodles for 5-10 minutes, drained well and leave aside for 30 minutes before cooking.  Got this tip from this recipe and it works.  Most times, I will soak it with hot water, it won't be soft but no longer crispy.
If there is other ways, please share with me.  Thank you.
Believe me, this noodle aren't dry or soggy but soft.

This is a simple braised yee mee and you can add any kind of ingredients like char siew, fresh oysters, fish cakes/fish balls etc.  It is okay. I added some fresh oysters and shredded tofu puffs here.

Recipe Source - Yum Yum Magazine No. 78 [modified]
Ingredients
[serves 3-4]
200 gm yee mee - soaked for 5-10 minutes, drained and set aside for 30 minutes
4 dried mushrooms - soaked and shredded
2 chicken thighs - deboned and shredded
4 stalks mustard leaves [chai sim] - cut
1 tbsp chopped garlic
1 tbsp oil 
400 ml chicken stock or water
some cut red chillies or sambal belacan
Seasoning
2 tbsp light soy sauce to taste
2 tbsp oyster sauce to taste
1 tsp salt
dash of pepper and sesame oil

  1. Heat oil in wok, saute garlic until fragrant.  Add in the mushrooms and chicken meat.  Stir fry until fragrant.  Add in tofu puffs if using.
  2. Add in water or stock and seasoning to taste.  Bring to boil.
  3. Add in yee mee and vegetables, stir to mix well until vegetables and noodles are cooked through.  Add in fresh oyster and stir to combine [if using].
  4. Serve hot with cut chillies or sambal belacan.
Photobucket
I'm also submitting this post to Cook Your Books Event #20 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours

Cook-Your-Books

13 comments:

Jasline @ Foodie Baker said...

Hi Kimmy, your braised yee mee looks delicious! Usually my mom will just add and cook yee mee directly in the soup, didn't even soak it... maybe it's a different brand of yee mee she used.

PH said...

Hi Kimmy! I have been craving for noodles. I think this weekend I shall give in to my cravings heee.hee.. Your braised yee mee must be very delicious. So far I have not cooked using this dried yee mee before.

Kimmy said...

Hi Jasline, it's good to soak the yee mee to wash off some fats cos' they are deep fried. This one isn't oily at all eventhough it is deep fried and they are soft not soggy after cooking.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, remember just to soak for 5 minutes and drain off the water in a colander. Leave for sometime before cooking. The yee mee must be good cos' my hubby asked to buy and extra pack which he took to cook for his fishing buddies.

Karen Luvswesavory said...

Hi Kimmy,
Your bowl of braised yee mee looked so yummy-licious and lots of "hor liao" too.
I usually don't soak the yee mee but give it a rinse.

mui mui said...

Hi Kimmy,
Aiyo!! I am drooling looks at your yummy yee mee.
I love yee mee in clay pot soup. But yours looks even tastier.

Will try to cook this, this weekend.
Thanks for sharing.
mui

Kimmy said...

Hi Mui Mui, this is comfort food for busy people especially before festive times when there are so much preparations to do and hardly much time left to cook elaborate meals. Hope you will like it.

Ana Regalado said...

Hi Kimmy ! Thank you for linking with us ! The yee mee reminds me of the dried egg noodles we have back home in the Philippines and I think it's the same one here in Hongkong . I used it few month ago and soak it in warm water for few minutes because it was oily . Love this kind of meal , a delicious dish to have especially when it's cold outside :D

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
Your yee mee looks delicious! And yes, I would soak this type of yee mee for about 5 minutes before cooking. And lost of cai-sim for me!
Thanks for linking with CYB!

Kimmy said...

Hi Anne, I used to think that yee mee is oily but one isn't and it's so easy to get it soften before cooking. Once you can find a good one, we can cook this often.

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, most of my noodle dishes have lots of vegetables which is the most important ingredient if we are having it as a One Dish Meal. The vegetables that I added is heavier than the noodles, hehehe!

Zoe said...

Hi Kimmy,

I can see lots of "ho liao" in your yee mee... super saucy and yummy!

Zoe

Kimmy said...

Hi Zoe, agree with you. Actually, you don't need to add fresh oysters but I happened to see fresh local oysters on sale in the wet on the day I cooked this noodles. So I bought some and added it to this noodles. It's irresistible.