Followers

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Lemon Rice Flour Chiffon Cake

This cake was inspired by a chiffon cake recipe shared by Vivian [here] using rice flour.  Since there are some lemon in the fridge, I baked this cake with lemon instead of the original recipe which uses orange.  
The cake turns out lovely - soft and spongy and the tangy lemon flavour is irresistible.  For the uses and benefits of lemon, please visit this blog Life Can Be Simple where Grace has provide the details for the Little Thumbs Up February 2014 Event on Lemon.
Looks good as a giveaway gift for my cousin sister in-law Doreen who gives my family 'free' haircuts.  Thanks to dear Doreen.
Ingredients For Egg Yolk Mixture
5 egg yolks [I used size A eggs]
15 gm castor sugar [I used 1 tbsp]
40 ml corn oil
15 ml lemon juice and zest
45 ml milk
60 gm cake flour [I used superfine flour]
30 gm rice flour
1/4 tsp salt
Ingredients For Egg White Mixture
5 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar [optional]
45 gm castor sugar [I used 3 tbsp]
  1. Sieve both flours together and mix in the salt.
  2. Separate egg yolks and whites into 2 separate bowls.
  3. Beat egg yolks and sugar until creamy, drizzle in oil and lemon juice/zest.  Beating mixture as you drizzle in the oil and milk juice until well blended.
  4. Fold in sifted flours and mix until well combined.
  5. Preheat oven at 160 degrees C for 10 minutes.
  6. In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy, add in the cream of tartar [if using].    Continue whisking and add in sugar in 3 batches.  Whisk until soft to stiff peaks.
  7. Fold lightly 1/3 portion of the egg white into the egg yolk mixture until well combined.    Then mix with the remaining egg white.  Fold until well combined.
  8. Pour batter into a 19-20 cm [7 inch] tube pan.   Shake a little to smooth out the batter and tap pan a few times on table top to release trapped air.
  9. Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes.
  10. Remove from oven and invert immediately to cool cake before slicing.
  11. Use a slim spatula to run around the edge of the pan and around the tube to dislodge cake before slicing cake.

I'm sharing this post with Little Thumbs Up February 2014 Event - Lemon hosted by Grace Phua of Life Can Be Simple

Little Thumbs Up

23 comments:

PH said...

Hi Kimmy! Keong Hee Huat Chye! I almost forgot about the LTU event and thanks for the reminder. Oh, did not know that rice flour can also be used in chiffon cake. I must try it as I have some leftover rice flour.

Kimmy said...

Thanks Phong Hong, try using rice flour, so far all turned out well.

Amy Baking Diary said...

Rice flour? Ok. I'm going to try it out.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the mentioned. I love the outcome with the used of rice flour too.

Jozelyn Ng said...

Your chiffon turns out nicely! Will definitely try out chiffon with rice flour, guess it is more economical to use rice flour instead of cake flour, haha! Gong Xi Fa Cai and happy new year to you!

Esther Lau said...

Oh my...i miss chiffon cake!!! Happy Lunar new year and Gong Xi Fa cai to you and your family :)

QembarDelites said...

That is an interesting cake! I have never tried baking chiffon with rice flour!

QembarDelites said...

Hi Kimmy, this is an interesting cake using rice flour, I wonder how is the texture?

Baby Sumo said...

Gong Xi Fa Cai! As usual, a gorgeous looking chiffon cake from you :)

Veronica said...

Lovely chiffon and I can imagine the tangy flavour of the cake.

Victoria Bakes said...

This is great with the incorporating of rice flour.... Must try must try! Thanks for sharing Kimmy

Kimmy said...

Hi Amy, please try, you will be surprised.

Kimmy said...

Thanks Vivian, I was so pleased with the outcome, I have been baking chiffon cakes again and again with the same recipe.

Kimmy said...

Hi Jozelyn, it's a good way to clear off the little balances of rice flour, too.

Unknown said...

Kimmy, I baked chiffon cakes before but I've never tried baking one with rice flour. It is very interesting. I love how prettily tall your chiffon cake looks. Awesome!!

Kimmy said...

Thanks Esther, honestly, I don't like to wash chiffon pan after baking but with this recipe I don't mind at all cos' the cake is really nice.

Kimmy said...

Hi Jeannie, you have to try. I have never been more satisfied with chiffon cakes.

Kimmy said...

Thanks Baby Sumo, more to come......

Kimmy said...

Hi Veronica, refreshingly light cake for tea time or snack.

Kimmy said...

Hi Victoria, yes you must try. You will be very happy with the outcome.

Kimmy said...

Hi Grace, I was curious, I tried and I like the outcome very much.

Zoe said...

Hi Kimmy,

I have never try baking a chiffon cake with rice flour. I'm trying to imagine the difference with rice flour... is it super soft? It looks really soft to me :D

Zoe

Kimmy said...

Hi Zoe, you won't notice the rice flour but I like the texture - spongy, soft and moist. I have baked several pieces with this recipe. All very good.