Followers

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Char Siew Steamed Paus

These days, very addicted to this pau skin recipe.  The paus turned out so nice that I am quite reluctant to use another recipe.  I must say it's good cos' some readers have came back to tell me the pau skin is really NICE.

I used home-cooked char siew [see recipe posting here] as filling, my hubby's  long outstanding request.  You can make 16 paus of equal size or venture out to make even smaller paus [siew long paus].  
I divided 3 portions into 2 each to make 6 siew long paus and another 2 portions to make the pau 'huat'.  Got the inspiration when I saw the 'kuih seller' selling the pau 'huat'.  Instead of buying the pau' huat', I bought 2 pieces of 'huat kuih' from him to make these 2 pau 'huat'.  By the way, pau 'huat' means 'sure to prosper', really???

Before steaming
Ingredients for Pau Dough
[makes 16 paus]
350 gm pau flour sifted together with 1 tsp double action baking powder
Mix together - 200 ml lukewarm water, 40 gm caster sugar and 1/4 tsp vinegar
1 tsp instant yeast
1 tbsp shortening
1-2 tbsp some toasted black sesame seeds
Filling - Char Siew [see this post]

Using a Dough Mixer or Hand Knead
  1. Combine all the ingredients [except shortening] in a mixing bowl.  Knead until soft [about 5-10 minutes].  Then add in the shortening, continue to knead until soft, smooth and elastic [very important step].
  2. Shape into a ball and cover to rest for about 20-30 minutes or until double in size.
  3. Punch down dough and remove dough to a floured surface, divide into 2 round balls.   Then divide each ball into 8 equal portions. Shape each into a ball, then roll into flat circle [the number depends on the capacity of your steamer, for mine I made 8 at a time].
  4. Wrap filling with each flatten dough.  Gather the edges and shape into pleated paus or round balls.  Place on parchment or greased proof  paper in the steaming tray.
  5. Leave to prove for 15 - 20 minutes.
  6. Steam over high heat for 10 minutes in a steamer.  Off heat and leave paus for a further 3 minutes before uncovering to cool on rack. This is to prevent wrinkle, rough skin [sometimes  they may be a little wrinkle - probably because of proofing time but the texture is unaffected].
I'm sharing this post with  Aspiring Bakers #31-Bao Ho-Chiak - May 2013 event hosted by Miss B of everybodyeatswell in Flanders.

17 comments:

Miss B @ Everybody Eats Well in Flanders said...

Hi kimmy,
The concept of pau huat is very creative, can do this during CNY to bring in good luck!

Your buns look very delicious. I agree that home made char siew is still the best, if you use store-bought frozen char siew like what I once did, the result will not be good, cos too dry and tough.

Unknown said...

Great texture! Soft n fluffy! Bookmarked n like to try someday. Still thinking what to use as filling ... :D

PH said...

Kimmy, the "pau huat" looks quiet cute. My understanding of the word "pau huat" is "explode" hah! hah! Since you say this is the best pau skin recipe, then I shall bookmark this one for my maiden pau making :)

Ling yuen chin said...

I try u recipe today, it's really really great! Love it. Thank you for sharing!

kimmy said...

Hi Vivian, this dough recipe is really good and you can create many other colours and suitable for most kind of fillings.

kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, several ppl have tried this dough recipe for paus and given the thumbs up. You sure can.

kimmy said...

Hi Ling YC, glad to have your feedback. I've used this as a basic pau dough recipe to make paus of different colours and fillings. Do check out the others.

Amelia said...

Hi Kimmy, your char siew pau look really good. The char siew filling look so delicious and very moist.
The pau huat look interesting, so must make this more often to get 'guarantee prosperous' :))

Best regards.

kimmy said...

Hi Amelia, I don't think I'll be making more of the 'Pau Huat' cos' I very seldom eat 'huat kuih'. Most prosper through other means, hehehe!

Helen V said...

Hi,
Keen to try the recipe but wld like to know whether I can substitute butter or for the shortening. Can I use ordinary baking powder also.
Thanks,
Helen

kimmy said...

Hi Helen, yes you can but the pau maybe be a little yellowish. You can use corn oil as substitute. You have to double the quantity if using ordinary baking powder.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimmy, wanna try this pau recipe soon. Which brand of pau flour r u using?
Thanks
HK

Kimmy said...

Hi HK, this is my 'sure can' pau recipe. 2 extra tips - use a big steamer and steam them all in one go... you'll get lovely paus. Proof paus for 45 minutes from the last pau you make than steam for 10-12 minutes. I used pau flour from the bakery shops. You can also use plain flour. The branded ones cost more.

Lydwina said...

Hi Kimmy,
This is the first time I came across vinegar in making pau. What's the purpose, actually?

Kimmy said...

Hi Lydwina, some people add vinegar to steaming water to make the baos whiter. How true, I don't know. I supposed vinegar added to the dough is to make it light and fluffy.

Ms Sandra said...

Hi. The paus look tempting. Both my girls live pau.
I am using electric steamer. How long do i need set the timer to get fluffy paus.

Kimmy said...

Hi Sandra, the good thing about using electric steamer is that, it doesn't need heating up. Just rest the paus in the steaming tray and turn to 10-12 minutes once the paus are ready for steaming. Just be careful that there is no vapour condensation otherwise the paus will have 'wrinkles' especially those on the bottom tray.