I have actually selected this book 'Various Cooking Noodles' for this month's Cookbook Countdown Event but dropping it cos' there aren't many suitable recipes to share. The book title sounds odd, too, perhaps due to come translation error? Though, I am not Chinese educated, understanding this book is not a problem. I'm aware that the title of this book in English is incorrect. 'Various Ways of Cooking Noodles' should be more suitable.
This cookbook is in Chinese language which I bought while holidaying in Taiwan several years ago. It contains 32 noodle recipes, many of which are easy to follow using few ingredients especially so if you use ready chicken or pork stock. Should say they are homey noodle dishes either dry or soupy.However, the portion is for 1-2 pax and most of the seasoning ingredients are estimation base on own taste and preference. Frankly speaking, I like this noodle soup very much with the tong chye and fried crispy garlic.
2 small bundles of glass noodles
150 gm chicken breast
1 tbsp preserved salted vegetable [tong chye] - chopped
1 stalks bok choy or any leafy vegetables - cut
2-3 bowls water
some chopped spring onions or Chinese celery
some cut red chillies and fried crispy garlic
cooking wine, salt, pepper and chicken stock granules to taste
- Soak glass noodles for about 5 minutes. Drain.
- Rinse tong chye, squeezed out excess water, then chopped.
- Bring water to boil, add in chicken breast to cook for 10 minutes or cooked through. Dish up and tear into strips.
- Add seasoning to taste, then add in some tong chye, glass noodles to cook for several minutes and looks translucent.
- Dish up noodles into serving bowls. Meanwhile, add vegetables to soup. Once cooked, place around noodles, top with chicken and tong chye.
- Pour boiling soup over noodles, garnish with celery, chillies and fried garlic.
- Serve immediately.