A Chinese style steamed rice that is good for a One Dish Meal. There is carbo, protein and fibre all in one tray.
Serving this rice with a vegetable soup makes a hassle-free meal.
The original recipe uses lotus leaf to wrap the rice for steaming. Here, I have omitted the use of lotus leaf and used uncooked rice to fry with all the other ingredients. The rice is then cook either by steaming or in the rice cooker.
If using cooked rice, fry it with the other ingredients, then wrap with lotus leaf and steamed for 15-20 minutes over high heat.
Recipe adapted from Agnes Chang’s Book Tasty Temptations with modifications
250 gm rice
½ tsp of salt and msg
½ tbsp dark soy sauce
400 ml water
4 tbsp oil
1 tbsp chopped shallots and garlic
2 tbsp dried prawns – rinsed and soaked
2 tbsp dried shredded cuttlefish – rinsed and soaked
4 dried mushrooms – soaked and shredded
1 deboned chicken whole leg – cut strips
1 small can green peas – drain away the water
Seasoning for chicken
1 tsp chicken stock granules
¼ tsp pepper
1 tsp sesame oil
- Marinate chicken with seasoning ingredients for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil, sauté shallots and garlic until golden brown. Add in dried prawns, cuttlefish and mushrooms. Stir fry until aromatic, add in the chicken and rice.
- Add in salt, msg, dark soy sauce to mix with all the ingredients. Stir fry to mix well.
- Add in green peas.
- Transfer ingredients into a steaming tray or rice cooker. Add in water, stir to mix well.
- Steam rice for 30 minutes or until cooked through or cook rice the normal way in a rice cooker. Fluff up to serve.