As mentioned in my earlier post on EZ Smiling Fatt Koh, I said I will be trying the gula melaka flavour fatt koh. I did this over the weekend for Ching Ming.
This recipe works well too with palm sugar. I was very happy seeing the smiling kuihs in the steaming tray when I removed the cover. OMG, these are definitely very presentable.
Verdict - these huat kuihs are soft, moist and aromatic. The sweetness is just nice. This recipe is a keeper. No yeast, ENO or proofing etc....needed.
Recipe Source - 温馨小厨 [Rachel]
[makes 12 cupcakes]
250 gm self raising flour
1 tsp double action baking powder
140 gm palm sugar [gula melaka]
250 ml water
2 pandan leaves - washed and knotted
1 egg - lightly beaten
- Boil pandan leaves with water and palm sugar until fragrant and sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, set aside to cool. Discard the pandan leaves and the syrup.
- Lightly beat the egg.
- Sieve flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre.
- Add in palm sugar mixture, egg and melted butter.
- Mix well to combine. The batter is thick and smooth.
- Scoop batter into a baking tray lined with paper cases until 95% full.
- Steam over high heat for 15-20 minutes or until skewer when inserted comes out clean. Remove to cool or serve immediately.