This cake was baked sometime ago and didn't get to post it until now.
In my opinion, baking this soft, moist and spongy cake [Ogura cake] using flavoured yoghurt is so much easier than many others cos' the small tub of yoghurt provides the liquid and flavour portion of the whole cake. My previous bakes using various yoghurt flavours like mango, strawberry, and kiwi were always good. This is no exception.
Ingredients for Egg Yolk Mixture
65 gm superfine flour - sifted
1/4 tsp salt
5 egg yolks
1 whole egg
45 ml corn oil [3 tbsp]
80 ml apricot flavoured yoghurt
- Place the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl and make well in the centre. Add in eggs, corn oil, lemon juice and yoghurt. Using a paddle hook, beat ingredients until creamy and well combined. Set aside. Preheat oven at 160 degrees C for 10 minutes.
5 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
65 gm castor sugar
- Using an electric mixer, whisk egg white until frothy, add in cream of tartar until slightly foamy. Add in sugar in 3 batches. Whisk until soft to stiff peaks formed.
- Using a spatula, fold in 1/2 of the meringue into egg yolk mixture. Lift and fold until well combined, then add to rest of meringue. Fold again until well mix.
- Pour into a 8" square tin [lined base with baking paper at the bottom only]. Smooth the surface with a spatula and steam bake in oven at 160 degrees C for 40 minutes then lower temperature to 140 degrees C and bake a further 20 minutes. [For the water bath, use 1 1/2 cup water for the duration of baking. This way the cake base will not be wet or too moist after baking].
- Invert the cake after baking and let it cool slightly before removing the pan and baking paper.
- Cool cake before slicing to serve or refrigerate for serving later.
Notes: Visit this site for it's Nutritional Facts [here]