Quite an easy chiffon cake recipe with ingredients available from a simple kitchen yet worth keeping. Recipe adapted from Cuisine Paradise but used tablespoon to measure some of the ingredients . Gave this cake to my Ma, so did not manage to get a picture of the sliced cake.
A. Ingredients - Egg Yolk Mixture
3 large egg yolks
30 g [2 tbsp] castor sugar
40 ml [3 tbsp] corn oil
1 packet [20g] 3 in 1 instant coffee
2 tsp instant coffee granules
45 ml boiling water to blend both instant coffee granules
1 tbsp rum
B. Flour Ingredients - sifted together
80 g cake flour + 1/2 tsp baking powder
C. Ingredients - Egg white/Meringue
3 large egg whites
50 g [4 tbsp] caster sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Mix 3 in 1 coffee with instant coffee granules with boiling water. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk egg yolks with sugar, then add in corn oil, a tablespoon at a time. Continue whisking after each addition till well combined. Then add in coffee gradually, whisking as you add to egg mixture. Then stir in rum.
- Fold in flour to egg mixture till well combined. Set aside.
- Whisk egg white in a clean bowl till frothy, then add in cream of tartar. Continue whisking for a second and gradually add in the sugar. Continue whisking till soft peaks formed.
- Fold 1/3 portion of the meringue into egg yolk mixture till well combined. Then fold in the balance meringue till well combined. Pour into a clean 7" chiffon pan. Tap a few times on the table top to release trapped air.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Invert pan immediately after removing from oven.
- Cool before removing cake from pan.