Steamed yam cake [orh kuih] is a very common steamed cake usually available at hawker stalls selling Chee Cheong Fun, Chai Kuih or some food stalls selling ready cooked dishes and Nyonya kuihs.
This is a good and easy recipe for Yam Cake which I like very much.
|Yam cake with garmishing|
Ingredients - Batter Mixture
270 gm rice flour
100 gm wheat starch
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp msg
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
1000 ml water
- Mix all ingredients together, stir well and strain. Set aside. Stir again before adding to fried yam.
Ingredients for Batter
Ingredients - Garnishing
100 gm dried prawns - washed and pounded
1 tbsp oil
1 red chilli - finely chopped
1 stalk spring onions - cut into small pieces
75 gm fried sliced shallots
- Fry dried prawns in oil till fragrant, remove to cool.
400 gm yam - either steam half portion and mashed and add to batter mixture or cut whole portion into small cubes.
3 tsp oil
2 cloves garlic - chopped
- Heat oil in wok and saute garlic till fragrant. Add in cubed yam to fry for 5-10 minutes till aromatic. Add in a little of fried dried prawns. Stir to mix well and pour in 2/3 portion of the batter. Continue stirring on medium heat till batter thickens. Off fire and add in the balance [1/3 portion] batter. Stir to mix well.
- Pour into a greased 10" steaming tray. Smooth the surface and steam over high heat for 30 minutes.
- After steaming, sprinkle dried prawns evenly over yam cake. Cool and before serving, sprinkle spring onions, chilli and fried shallots on yam cake.
- Cut and serve with chilli sauce [recipe here for homemade chilli sauce].
|Fry dried prawns and yam cubes|
|After steaming for 30 minutes before adding garnishing|