Followers

Thursday, January 28, 2021

PANDAN KAYA


My fruits preserves is finishing soon. I noticed prices of most fruits [such as Plums, Kiwi etc] for making preserves have gone up exorbitantly. Today, I prepared this Pandan Kaya as substitute for the preserves which we need to spread over bread for breakfast. This Pandan Kaya is much easier to make compared to Caramel Kaya where you would need to caramelise the sugar to a perfect tone so that the Kaya colour would turn out nice. 


This Pandan Kaya is very aromatic as the pandan juice blends very well with coconut milk and eggs.  I used the stirring over direct heat method instead of double boiling.  *This method is quite fast except that you need to keep stirring the mixture  while cooking to get a nice texture and to prevent it from getting lumpy or burnt at the base.*
Overall, I am happy with the result as the 'kaya' is smooth, perfect consistency and nice colour.  It is worth the effort to prepare homemade kaya.  By the way, this recipe uses duck eggs.  It is alright to use chicken eggs but advisable to use large eggs.
Ingredients
[makes 3 tubs x 200 gm]
4 duck eggs - lightly beaten to combine egg yolk with egg white
250 ml thick coconut milk
250 gm sugar
10 blades of screwpine [pandan] leaves - washed and blended with 3 tbsp water
  1. Blend pandan leaves with water.  Squeezed out the juice, set aside.
  2. In a big bowl, add in pandan juice, sugar and 50 ml coconut milk.  Stir to dissolve the sugar.  Gradually add more coconut milk as the sugar dissolves.
  3. Pour in lightly beaten eggs [do not beat eggs until frothy], mix with well.
  4. Strain mixture into a heavy based pan [I used Thai 'golden' wok].  
  5. Bring mixture to cook over  medium low heat, stirring constantly* until the mixture is of a runny thick consistency [leaves a trail mark as you stir].  This takes about 20-25 minutes.
  6. Remove from heat, cool before storing in airtight containers.
  7. Serve with bread, pancakes or some Nyonya Kuihs.


2 comments:

PH said...

Hi Kimmy! Long time no see! hah..hah... Thanks for sharing this recipe as it makes small portion and seems quite easy and fast. I have never made kaya and I have been wanting to try. But most recipes use more than 4 eggs. I will try your recipe. By the way, how is the sweetness level? I wonder if I can reduce the sugar slightly.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, glad you still remember me, hahaha! Great. This recipe is by far the simplest kaya recipe which I have tried. Much easier than the caramel version. It is just mixing, straining and stirring. The Kaya is done. The sweetness is acceptable to me. Either you reduce a little sugar or just spread it sparingly over your bread slices. OR follow the recipe for the first time, too sweet it giveaway. Next round, you probably know how much sugar to add. These days, I go for simple dishes in smaller portions. Nothing to shout about, so I didn't share them here. Keep in touch. Most important, stay home stay safe.