Some Tips to share for those we wish to bake mooncakes at home. The most important is to get ready the Golden Syrup.
What is Golden Syrup and what is it made from? It's a thick, smooth golden-colored syrup made from cane sugar that has a unique buttery scent and a light caramel flavor and less sweet.
Golden Syrup for mooncakes is a type of inverted sugar that has a beautiful amber color, a rich and fruity aroma, and a very creamy texture.
You can make your own golden syrup by using the following recipe. For use in making mooncakes, it is advisable to prepare the syrup earlier at least 2-3 weeks in advance. It is even better to use golden syrup that are prepared long ago like a year or more.
It is a blend of sugars and preserves and should keep well for many years. You can make more in one go that can last you for years. It could be the unique magic of this golden syrup that makes the mooncakes smells so fragrant and also contributes to the nice colour of the mooncakes.
[makes about 1 kg syrup]
1 kg sugar
750 ml water
1 lime - sliced into 4 slices - seeds removed
- Place sugar is a heavy based saucepan [about 18 cm width]. Pour in water, stir to combine. Add in the lime pieces.
- Bring to boil over high heat and stir occasionally. Boil for 10 minutes.
- Reduce to medium low and leave to boil for an hour or more until the colour turns golden brown and of runny thick consistency.
- Off heat, leave to cool before storing in glass jars or containers. Remove the limes slices.
- Store at room temperature in a cool place. Keeps well for years if of well.