Another tasty and yummy One Dish Meal during Malaysian MCO, 'Steamed Pumpkin Rice with Mushrooms'. The original recipe is for vegetarians but I have modified it a little with addition of some minced meat and dried prawns. I did that because it is for my family and just to avoid my hubby asking why there is no dried prawns in the rice.
Recipe adapted from Irene Yong's You-tube Video [with modifications] - 南瓜香菇燜飯|Pumpkin & Shiitake Stewed Rice
I am happy that this rice turned out yummy and I was able to share a portion with my neighbour [a widower] during MCO as he has to get his meals from the food stalls.
2 cups rice - wash and drain [I used the plastic rice cup]
2 cups water
300-350 gm pumpkin - skinned and cut small chunks
3 dried shiitake mushrooms - soaked and cut strips
30 gm or 1 tbsp dried prawns [omit if vegetarian]
50-70 gm minced meat [omit is vegetarian]
4-5 shallots - peeled and sliced thinly
1 tbsp chopped ginger
3 tbsp cooking oil
some chopped Chinese celery and some cut small red chillies
1 tbsp light soy sauce [good quality]
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
1 tsp dark soy sauce
- Using a non stick fry pan, fry shallots in oil until golden brown and crispy. Dish up and set aside.
- Add in mushrooms and ginger to fry pan, fry until aromatic. Add in dried prawns and minced meat if using. Continue to fry until meat turns white. Add in seasoning and pumpkin. Stir fry to mix for a minute.
- Add in the rice and dark soy sauce [if using], stir fry to mix the ingredients. Add in fried shallots, stir to combine with the rice.
- Dish up into a steaming tray, spread out evenly and pour in water. Bring fried ingredients to cook by steaming in a steamer for 35-40 minutes over medium high heat.
- If not steaming, cook in a rice cooker as normal. Fluff up rice when cooked. Garnish with chopped Chinese celery and cut chillies.
- Dish up to serve.