This recipe is adapted from Yum Yum Magazine Issue No. 102. I used the pastry mooncake skin recipe from their Three Coloured Sweet Potato Mooncake recipe. The pastry dough is similar to cookie dough and is easy to handle.
The pastry is crispy and can be used to bake any kind of pastry mooncakes with various fillings of your choice.
This pastry mooncake recipe is a keeper. I will use it in future with other types of mooncake fillings.
[makes 16 medium size pastry mooncakes]
150 gm butter
100 gm icing sugar
A pinch of salt
300 gm plain flour
60 gm milk powder
20 gm custard powder
1 tsp baking powder
Fillings – mungbean paste [store bought]
Some crispy meat floss
Some egg glaze and melon seeds
- Skin: Beat butter and icing sugar until soft in a mixing bowl. Add in eggs one at a time and beat until well mixed. Fold in the flour ingredients and mix into a dough. Set aside in the fridge.
- Meanwhile, divide filling into 16 equal portions [about 20 gm]. Roll into rounds and wrap meat floss with paste.
- Divide pastry dough into 16 equal portions [about 40 gm each] and wrap up filling. Arrange onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Brush egg glaze over pastry and decorate with some melon seeds.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 degrees C for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove to cool on wire rack before storing or cut into pieces to serve.