Another natural colour snowskin mooncake recipe using orange juice as flavour for the skin. The other was beetroot flavour [see recipe].
The recipe is different from the usual as it uses superfine flour and tang mian fun [wheat starch]. These two flours have to be steamed before use.
The recipe is available in Yum Yum Magazine No. 86. There are four flavours [beetroot, orange, sesame seeds and blue pea] but I did only beetroot, orange and black sesame. I didn't make the blue pea cos I have make some the previous years [recipe here]. I'm doing individual recipe postings for easy reference.
For the filling, you can make your own or use less sweet store bought mooncake paste for this snowskin mooncake.Basic Ingredients for the Snowskin [Pin Pi] - slightly modified the method
[makes 70 gm x 8 pieces]
35 gm tang mian flour [wheat starch]
35 gm superfine flour [low protein flour]
130 gm kao fun [fried glutinous flour]
150 gm icing sugar
50 gm shortening
150 ml orange juice
Filling - store bought
[my mould requires 110 gm x 8 mooncake paste]
880 gm lotus seed mooncake paste
some toasted melon seeds
- mix toasted melon seeds with the lotus seed [ling yung] flavour paste. Divide into 8 equal portions [70 gm]. Roll into a ball. Chill until required. This can be prepared earlier and chill in the fridge.
- Steam tang mian flour and low protein flour at high heat for 5 minutes. Leave to cool and sift together with kao fun and icing sugar in a big bowl.
- Rub in shortening until it resembles bread crumbs.
- Pour in chilled orange juice. Knead into a soft and smooth dough. Cover to rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Divide pin pi into 8 portions. Roll into a ball.
- Flatten dough in between plastic sheet and wrap filling. Shape into round. Coat dough with some kao fun and press into a mooncake mould.
- Knock out the mooncake and place in mooncake container, chill it in the refrigerator before serving.