1 whole chicken - properly cleaned and innards remove
A few ginger slices
1 stalk spring onions - cleaned and knotted
some salt and wine
- Put ginger and sping onion on a steaming tray.
- Rub chicken with wine and salt and place on steaming tray
- Steam chicken over boiling water for 25 minutes. Off fire and leave for 15 minutes before removing cover. Keep the chicken stock for chilli sauce.
- Brush with sesame oil while hot. Cut into smaller pieces before serving with chilli sauce.
The same method can be used to steam just a drumstick or half chicken. Reduce steaming time to 15 minutes, off fire and leave for 15 minutes. I didn't cut the chicken because I am keeping the chicken to be smoked [please refer posting on smoked whole chicken].
Chilli Sauce for Chicken
This is a simple chilli sauce that goes well with the steamed chicken or smoked chicken.
Ingredients [blend and combine together]
5 red chilli
3-4 cloves garlic
20 g ginger
4 tbsp vinegar or less
Juice of 2 limes
salt and sugar to taste
- Blend all ingredients together then pour hot boiling chicken stock over blended ingredients.