Followers

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Durian Cake

Durian was Roddy's [my late youngest brother] favourite fruit.  He can spent a lot on this king of fruits and never failed to try out the popular species like Red Prawn, Musang, Koh Tsu Koon, Ling Fong Cheow, the species and the names are endless.
Since today is his lunar birthday, we had offering and prayers in the family home for him.  The family being of Taoist faith, a variety of foods were offered during the prayers.  To mark his 'birthday', I baked this Durian Cake for him [he passed away on Christmas Day].  Whether he gets to taste it, I don't know!!!!  
This is my favourite durian cake recipe which always turn out good.  So far, this cake usually gets a thumbs up.  While baking you can smell the strong pungent aroma of the durian.
Ingredients
[use 7 inch or 20 cm round or square cake tin]
180 gm butter [I used Golden Churn brand]
150 gm castor sugar
4 egg yolks
150 gm ripe durian puree [use the fine flesh species]
180 gm self raising flour or 180 gm cake flour with 1 1/2 tsp baking powder- sifted
2 tbsp milk
4 egg whites
  1. Line base and greased the side of a round or square baking tin [I sprinkled some flour around the sides - to get evenly brown sides].
  2. Cream butter and sugar until light and creamy.  Beat in the egg yolks one at a time until well combined.  Stir in the durian puree.  Mix well.
  3. Fold in sifted flour and milk until well combined.
  4. In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites until just stiff.  Fold beaten egg white into egg yolk mixture in 3 batches.
  5. Turn mixture into prepared baking tin.
  6. Bake in preheated oven at 170 degrees C for 50-60 minutes.
  7. Cool cake in tin for 10 minutes before turning out to cool on wire rack.
Notes: Visit this site for its'Nutritional Facts [here]

18 comments:

Jozelyn Ng said...

Aiya, just ate all the durian in the fridge. Should try to bake this. Anyway, I get to know so many durian species by reading your post. The Koh Tsu Koon and Ling Fong Cheow, I never taste before.

Sokehah cheah said...

Mmm... durian cake is very aromatic, the smell lingers in the kitchen. I made it before too and it was good.

Victoria Bakes said...

what a nice lovely thought of you to dedicate this to your late brother... i haven't tried baking anything durian yet but will definitely try this out someday...

QembarDelites said...

I can smell your cake from here:D My sons do not eat durian so they will run a mile if I ever bake a durian cake:P Sounds wonderfully fragrant!

Kimmy said...

Hi Jozelyn, my late brother used to tell us all the names but I can't remember all. Most of them from Penang.

Kimmy said...

Hi Soke Hah, the smell lingers even outside my kitchen, very aromatic.

Kimmy said...

Hi Victoria, remember to use the fine, tender flesh and pungent type. Very nice. I will be baking another with a different recipe which is as good.

Kimmy said...

Hi Jeannie, if they don't like durian, that's the usual reaction. One of my nephew is the same.

Lite Home Bake said...

My son and i are during lovers, pretty sure we both will love this, thanks for sharing!

Delphine said...

Hi Kimmy,
You cake really looks soft & buttery, you got very nice tall baking pan, where did you bought it & what is the size & height of this baking pan? Thanks.

Kimmy said...

Hi Lite Home Bake, using good quality butter gives this cake more oomph! soft, moist and not oily.

Kimmy said...

Hi Delphine, this is handmade baking tin size is 7" x 3". Can get it easily from the store selling baking items cos' it's a common size. Handmade baking tins are better than the aluminium type, you don't need to line it with baking paper.

PH said...

Kimmy, at first I thought this was the other type of durian cake, the sticky one. I should try this. Must be a bittersweet moment for you baking this for your late brother. I am sure wherever he is, he was pleased with your cake.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, hope he liked it but this cake was finished soon after prayers.

Anonymous said...

I'm wondering what happened to the durian puree in your recipe?

Kimmy said...

Hi Anonymous, sorry - miss out the sentence. Add durian puree before folding in the flour.

Anonymous said...

Hi I would love to try this. May I know where I can make handmade baking tins? I don't like aluminium. Is your stainless steel by the way? Can you provide me a contact? I live near Klang.

Kimmy said...

Hi Anonymous, I have no idea where you can get the hand-made baking tins in Klang, but you can try asking the stores selling baking items. This is the place I bought the tins. Comes in various sizes and shapes.