Followers

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Plum Fruit Snow Skin Mooncakes [2013]

I'm very happy this year as I have used all natural colours from fruits, plants and flowers for my snowskin mooncakes.   This one is a lovely natural purplish pink colour snow skin mooncake with the fragrance of the plum fruit.  I used plum fruits for the colour and it is not necessary to add any essence.
This ping pei skin is used to wrap Red Dates and Longan flavour mooncake paste [store bought].   Couldn't take cross section pictures of the mooncakes cos' these are for giveaways [will update with photos of it if I can at my mum's place].
Ingredients
[makes 5 pieces - dough weighs 300 gm] 
90 gm cooked glutinous flour [kao fun]
75 gm icing sugar
90 ml iced plum fruit juice [use 1 plum fruit]*
20 gm shortening
* cut up the plum fruit, discard the seed.  Boil cut fruits with about 150 ml or more water if necessary and strain to obtain about 90 ml liquid.    Refrigerate until required.
  1. Sift icing sugar with kao fun into a mixing bowl.
  2. Rub in shortening with your finger tips until fine grains formed.
  3. Stir in the iced cold plum fruit water.  Mix and combine into a soft dough.
  4. Cover and leave aside to rest for about 30 minutes.
  5. Roll into a long log and cut into 5 equal portions [about 60 gm/piece].
  6. Roll each piece into a ball and flatten it slightly.  Use it to wrap any filling of your choice.
  7. Roll into a ball, press neatly into mooncake mold.  Knock out to dislodge the ping pei mooncake and place in a plastic casing.
  8. Chill ping pei mooncake in the refrigerator.
    Notes:  Any excess or leftover ping pei skin can be combined and use to make smaller ping pei mooncakes.

2 comments:

QembarDelites said...

very nice colors...I too use all natural colors for my snowskin:)

Kimmy said...

Hi Jeannie, when my nephew saw my snow skin mooncakes, he said "kor kor you used artificial colourings, ah?" I said "don't worry my dear, these are all natural colours from fruits and flowers".