A very nice, aromatic, cold dessert with combination of aromas from pandan leaves, lemongrass, ginger and kaffir lime leaves. The texture and taste is quite similar to the Taiwanese dessert called 'Ai Yu' [see post here and picture below] but this is actually jelly cooked to the same texture.
Recipe adapted from Yum Yum Magazine
Ingredients - A
5 pandan leaves - knotted
2 stalks lemongrass - lightly bruised
5 cm piece ginger - lightly smashed
5 kaffir lime leaves
1300 ml water
Ingredients - B
90 gm instant jelly powder [use either plain or lime flavour jelly powder]
75 gm sugar
Ingredients - C
500 ml hot boiling water
5 tbsp sugar
- Dissolve sugar in hot boiling water. Add in the lime juice. Mix well and refrigerate before use.
- Bring A to boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 45 minutes. Strain the liquid. The liquid should be about 700-750 ml left.
- Return to heat and add in B. Stir until sugar and jelly powder are dissolved.
- Pour mixture into a container and allow it to set. Refrigerate it.
- Serve cold by scooping chilled jelly to a serving bowl and drizzle in chilled lime cordial. Add some crushed ice if preferred.