Came across this fail proof recipe shared generously by K L Liew in You-tube [Ma Lai Kuih]. I tried, made 2 pieces in a day. Both turned out perfect. The steamed kuih is spongy, soft and has a nice aroma. Spongy texture on the top and the bottom has honeycomb texture.
This kuih uses gula merah, evaporated milk and pandan juice together eggs and self raising flour. Self raising flour is used and not necessary to add baking powder if using plain flour. Baking soda and yeast are must have ingredients. This recipe is a keeper. Do try, it is worth the effort.
4 [size A] eggs
3 tbsp pandan juice [from blending 4 blades pandan leaves with 2-3 tbsp water]
160 ml evaporated milk
180 gm self-raising flour - sifted
1 tsp yeast
1/4 tsp salt
160 gm gula merah
50 gm butter - melted
1 tsp baking soda
- Melon seeds for decoration [can sprinkle before or after steaming]
- Break eggs into a mixing bowl, lightly beat until frothy with big to medium size bubbles. Add in milk and pandan juice. Lightly beat to mix until well combine. Do not overbeat.
- In another mixing bowl, add in sugar and salt on 1 side of the bowl. Then add in flour in another side. Place yeast over flour. Then fold lightly to mix the dry ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients to beaten egg mixture in a few batches. Lightly fold to combine or zig-zag motion to mix.
- Strain combine mixture into another mixing bowl to dissolve the sugar and lumps.
- Cover the mixture and leave to proof for 1-1 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, line a bamboo basket with parchment paper.
- After 1 hour, bring water to boil.
- After 1 1/2 hours, scoop about 7 spoons of batter into a small bowl, sift in baking soda. Mix well then pour in melted butter. Mix again and pour in to remaining batter. Fold lightly to incorporate both mixture. Do not overmix.
- Proof into prepared bamboo basket. Tap basket 3-4 times. Place in steaming tray, cover steamer cover with cloth to prevent water condensation.
- Steam cake for 35 minutes over high heat.
- Transfer steamed cake from steamer, if using melon seeds, sprinkle over steamed cake. Remove cake from bamboo basket to a cooling rack immediately.
- Slice to serve cake while steam hot or warm.