This is quite a different steamed pau skin recipe which I tried. The pau skin turned out to be smooth, spongy, soft and chewy. Lovely fluffy pau skin which is low in sugar and fats compared to other recipes which I have been using.
If you enjoy eating steamed paus but afraid of the sugar and fats in the pau skin, this is a good recipe to use. The texture is good and great with this Gula Melaka Coconut filling.
Gula Melaka Coconut Filling recipe inspired from MyKitchen101en. Though I did not follow exactly the portion but this filling is nice. It is fragrant, tastes good and not too sweet.
Ingredients For Gula Melaka Coconut Filling
200 gm freshly grated white coconut
110 gm palm sugar/gula melaka - chopped
25 gm Jaggery sugar or gula merah
80 ml hot water
2-3 blades pandan leaves - washed and tie into a knot
slaked cornstarch [1.5 tsp cornstarch + 1 tbsp water]
- For the Filling - Place palm sugar, gula merah and pandan leaves in a saucepan. Add in hot water, bring to boil over medium low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Strain into a clean non stick pan/wok. Bring to boil and stir in cornstarch water. Add in grated white coconut.
- Stir to mix well, fry until the coconut is almost dry but moist and leave the pan clean.
- Dish out to cool.
[makes 16 paus]
300 gm pau flour
1/2 tbsp icing sugar
1 tsp instant yeast
150-170 ml water
1/2 tbsp shortening
- For Skin - combine all ingredients [except shortening] in a mixing bowl. Gradually add in water to mix into a rough dough [may not need to use all the water].
- Add in shortening, continue to knead until dough is soft and smooth. Shape into a round ball, leave in bowl, cover to rest for 20 minutes or double in size.
- Punch down, roll into a long log or ball, then divide into 16 equal portions or more according to own preference. Shape each portion into a ball.
- Flatten each ball and wrap 1-2 tsp gula melaka coconut filling, seal the edges well into a pleated or round pau. Place on a piece of parchment paper in a steaming tray. Finish making the rest.
- Cover and leave to proof for 20-30 minutes or until double in size.
- Steaming over high heat for 10-12 minutes.
- Off heat, remove to cool on wire rack before storing or serve immediately.