My husband's friend gave him some palm sugar [gula melaka] from Melaka. The palm sugar is not very sweet but is soft and easy to chopped into small pieces.I used them to make these paus. Fluffy paus with an easy gula melaka filling. I believe this recipe is good for a novice in pau making.
[makes 12 paus]
200 gm pau flour
1 tbsp icing sugar
1 tsp instant yeast
1/2 tsp double action baking powder
1/4 tsp white vinegar
1 tbsp golden syrup
100-120 ml water
1/2 tbsp shortening
Ingredients For Filling
50 gm palm sugar/gula melaka - chopped
some diced glazed cherries for decoration
- For Skin - combine all ingredients [except shortening] in a mixing bowl. Gradually add in water/vinegar to mix into a rough dough [may not need to use all the water].
- Add in shortening, continue to knead until dough is soft and smooth. Shape into a round ball, leave in bowl, cover to rest for 20 minutes or double in size.
- Punch down, roll into a ball, then divide into 10 equal portions or more according to own preference. Shape each portion into a ball.
- Flatten each ball and wrap 1 tsp gula melaka filling, seal the edges well into a pleated or round pau. Place on a piece of parchment paper in a steaming tray [I used my electric steamer]. Finish making the rest.
- Cover and leave to proof for 20-30 minutes or until double in size.
- Steaming over high heat for 10-12 minutes.
- Off heat, remove to cool on wire rack before storing or serve immediately.