One simple and easy vegetable dish recipe for '500 Curries'. The recipe looks complicated but I made it simple with some modifications. The result is as good if you have not seen the original, hehehe!.
I love the spicy flavour and the tangy taste which blends well with the sweet taste of aubergine/eggplant/brinjals.
This is the description of the Chef of this recipe. 'Chunks of aubergine coated in a rich sauce and sprinkled with sesame seeds makes an unusual side dish that is quick to cook. A versatile vegetarian dish that can be served hot, warm or cold'. A dish well describer and it's a must try if you like aubergine.
Recipe adapted from the book ‘500 Curries’ with slight modifications
300 gm aubergine - cut chunks
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp chilli powder
1-2 tbsp cooking oil
some toasted sesame seeds
2-3 cloves of garlic - peeled and crushed
1/2-1 tbsp chilli paste
1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tsp light soy sauce
salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Sprinkle cut aubergine with salt and leave to stand for 15-20 minutes. In a colander, rinse well and drain off excess water. Sprinkle chilli powder and toss well.
- Meanwhile, combine seasoning ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a non-stick pan, heat oil until hot, fry aubergine chunks. Stir constantly until a little brown, pour in water.
- Cover to pan for 1-2 minutes to steam. Add in seasoning ingredients. Taste to adjust seasoning.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds and dish up to serve.
- Sprinkle more sesame seeds if preferred.