This recipe is adapted from a Lotus Leaf Wrap Chicken Glutinous Rice recipe. I have modified the recipe by not using lotus leaf and substituting a portion of the glutinous rice with plain rice. I know there are many people who love to eat rice dumplings but suffer from glutinous rice intolerance. This steamed rice with a small portion of glutinous rice may be suitable for them.
The steamed rice is fragrant, tasty and delicious, suitable as a One Dish Meal. It is perfect to serve this with any vegetable soup or pickled vegetable [cucumber, carrots or cabbage].
200 gm rice – washed and drained
100 gm glutinous rice – soaked for several hours and drained
1 large deboned chicken whole leg – cut into thick strips
3 dried mushrooms – soaked and cut strips
1 tbsp dried prawns – rinsed and drained
2-3 shallots – peeled and sliced
Marinade – 1 tbsp wine, dash of salt, pepper and msg
3 tbsp each of light soy sauce and wine
¼ tsp msg
- Marinate chicken with marinade.
- Heat 1-2 tbsp oil in a non stick wok, sauté shallots until fragrant and crispy. Push aside, sauté dried prawns and mushrooms until fragrant, then add in chicken pieces. Stir fry to mix well.
- Add in glutinous rice, stir fry until rice turns translucent, then add in plain rice and seasoning. Stir fry to mix well for several minutes. Off heat.
- Dish up rice into 3 steaming cans. Add in enough water to cook rice [about less than 1 cm above rice level or depends on quality of rice used].
- Steam rice for at least 30 minutes or until cooked through. Leave rice for about 5-10 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate, invert can to dislodge rice. Serve immediately.