On one of the days of Phase 3 Malaysia's MCO to curb Covid19 infection, I bought some bananas which look greenish yellow. Hoping that they would be ripe and turn yellow in a day or two for consumption but they didn't. Instead the skin turned greyish, greenish and yellowish. I was thinking of discarding them, but before I did that, I peeled one and discovered that they are already ripe and edible. It is impossible to finish the lot of them and afraid that they may be spoiled the next day, I decided to make banana bread.
I came across this recipe from Brian's Cuisine which suits me well. The bananas need to be frozen for 24 hours before using. Great, I went ahead to get it done for the next day's baking.
This is my opinion - awesome banana bread loaf. The steps are so easy to follow, just mixing the ingredients without the need of a mixer, yet the result is satisfactory. This recipe is a keeper and in future, I need not worry if I have leftover bananas at home.
The banana bread is soft, moist and the sweetness is just nice for me.
350 gm banana flesh - peeled and freezed
100 gm castor sugar
70 gm brown sugar
2 large eggs [about 110 gm]-lightly beaten
55 ml unsalted melted butter
220 gm plain flour - sifted with baking soda
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
- Peel the bananas to get 350 gm of the flesh. Cut into sections and store them in a zipper bag. Leave in freezer for at least a day before using.
- The next day, thaw the frozen bananas for at least 2 hours, mash into puree. Set aside and get ready the remaining ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl, put in mashed bananas, add in both sugars. Mix well until sugar dissolves. Add in beaten eggs and salt. Continue to mix well with a hand whisk.
- Pour in melted butter. Mix well.
- Add egg mixture into sifted flour. Combine ingredients by folding lightly until the flour is not visible [Do Not Over-mix batter].
- Pour into a greased baking tin [I used an aluminium foil tray of size 12cm x 20cm x 5cm]. Tap tray a few times to release trapped air.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 for 47-50 minutes. Test with a skewer before removing from oven. Leave to cool in a wire rack for 20-30 minutes before dislodging bread.
- Slice and serve.