What more can I ask for a dish like this during Malaysia's MCO [movement control order], a government's effort to control the Covid19 pandemic? I am more than happy and satisifed with this dish.
Home-cooked with simple ingredients and seasoning but it is definitely healthy, awesome and fuss free.
If you happen to run short of ideas on what to cook for your family during this 'Stay At Home' time, this could be of help. The fried tofu absorbs the sauce which tastes savoury sweet. The tastes can be fine tune according to the quantity you are cooking. It doesn't costs much but the returns is satisfactory.
This is enough to serve 3 and you can increased the sauce ingredients if you like more gravy to spread over plain white rice.
Recipe adapted from a Vegetarian Food Cookbook from a Buddhist Association with modifications
2 pieces tofu - cut each into 6 portions
a handful of black fungus [bok nee] - soaked and rinsed
some chopped red chillies
some chopped coriander leaves
some chopped ginger
1 tbsp vegetarian mushroom sauce
1 tbsp good quality light soy sauce [tastes sweet and savoury]
dash of pepper
1/2 tsp sesame seed oil
1/2 bowl water
some cornstarch water for thickening
- Cut each tofu piece into 6 pieces. Pat dry with kitchen paper towel. Pan fry in a non stick pan until golden brown on both sides.
- Add in chopped ginger, black fungus and red chillies. Stir to combine ingredients well and until ginger is aromatic.
- Add in the the seasoning ingredients and water.
- Give it a good stir, then bring to boil until bubbly. Thicken with cornstarch water.
- Throw in some chopped coriander. Dish up to serve.