This is a vegetarian dish which I will be preparing for Chinese New Year meal. As in previous years, there is a need to cook vegetarian dishes for my hubby’s siblings when they come visiting. More and more of his siblings and relatives are on vegan meals. Some are for religious reasons while others are for their love of vegetarian dishes.
This can be ‘cin cai’ cooked dish as you can adjust the seasoning according to the portion of tofu puffs you wish to cook. It tastes a bit of a ‘hot’ with the dried red chillies and ginger but definitely appetizing serving it with rice.
200 gm tofu puffs [taupok] – halved
Some red and green chillies or capsicums – cut wedges
1 bowl soaked black fungus
30 gm red carrot – peeled and sliced
Some chopped ginger
4-5 dried chillies – soaked and cut small pieces
½ tbsp cooking oil
1 tbsp each light soy sauce and oyster sauce
½ tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
½ tbsp cornstarch + 1 tbsp water
- Bring some water to boil, blanched black fungus for 1 minute. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a non stick wok, sauté ginger and dried chillies until aromatic.
- Add in tofu puffs and carrots. Stir to mix well. Add in seasoning ingredients and black fungus.
- Stir fry for another minute, add some water to bring out the flavours.
- Add in chillies, stir to mix well then thicken with cornstarch water.
- Dish up to serve.