This is a simple vegetarian dish with firm tofu as the main ingredient. Yet, it is tasty and delicious to serve with rice. Savoury, sweet in taste and aromatic. A dish that you can choose to add to your meal whenever you think of going meatless. Suitable for the young and old.
Studies show that regularly eating tofu can provide lower total cholesterol and triglyceride levels. It is healthier than meat as soy provides an excellent source of protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals, minus the saturated fats.Ingredients
2 pieces firm tofu - sprinkle some fine salt over tofu pieces, leave for 15 minutes. Press lightly to release some water, then cut each piece into 6 pieces
1 red chilli - seeded and cut into pieces
1 green chilli - seeded and cut into pieces
some soaked black fungus - cut strips
some chopped ginger and garlic
1-2 tbsp fine dried soy gluten [optional]
1 tbsp rock sugar
1 tbsp each of light soy sauce, mushroom sauce and sweet soy sauce*
1/2 tsp dark soy sauce for colour
* can replace by adding some sugar
salt to taste
dash of pepper
sesame seed oil
- Prepare the ingredients as listed. Heat a non stick wok with some oil enough to fry the tofu pieces. Slowly put in the tofu pieces to fry over medium high heat until golden brown on both sides. Dish up, set aside.
- Remove excess oil, add in rock sugar to caramelise over medium heat. [This process results in nutty sweet flavour and brown colour]. Return the fried tofu to wok once the rock sugar has caramelised. Swirl the wok to coat the tofu pieces with the caramel.
- Add in the remaining ingredients except the chillies and seasoning. Stir fry to mix the ingredients well.
- Add in seasoning, chillies and water. Bring to boil, then braise for 1-2 minutes until water is reduced. Taste to adjust seasoning.
- Dish up to serve with rice.