This is a Steamed Pumpkin Rice with a twist. By adding a Stir Fried Gong Pao Chicken, it is totally different from the usual recipe where dried prawns and meat are fried together before cooking. For this dish, I used cooked rice which is steamed with cut pumpkin while I prepared the Gong Pao Chicken. The cooked chicken dish is spread over the steamed rice and serve right away. Is good idea to use cooked rice so as to prepare the portion enough to serve the number of pax. Appetising and nutritious, advisable to cook more rice.
This is a One Dish Meal recipe very suitable for such times when 'movement is controlled' due to Covid spread. 😀😀😀 A dish easy to prepare for your family rather than 'tapao'.
3-4 bowls cooked rice
100 gm pumpkin flesh - cut into cubes
handful of roasted peanuts or cashew nuts [optional]
some small bok choy - optional
Ingredients for Gong Pao Chicken
1 deboned chicken whole leg - cut cubes
2-3 dried red chillies - soaked and cut small sections
some chopped ginger and garlic
1 stalk spring onions - cut sections
1.5 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1.5 tbsp each of light soy sauce and black vinegar
1 tbsp cooking wine
1.5 tbsp each of lemon juice and water
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp dark soy sauce
- Prepare the ingredients as stated above. Marinate the chicken meat with some pepper, salt and cornstarch. Mix well and drizzle in some oil. Mix and set aside.
- Scoop cooked rice into a steaming platter. Arrange the cut pumpkin pieces around the edge. Steam until pumpkin is cooked and tender. Off heat. Add bok choy [if using] to steam after pumpkin is cooked.
- Meanwhile, a some oil in a non stick wok to pan fry the marinated chicken pieces until brown and slightly crispy. Push aside, add in chopped ginger, garlic and dried chillies. Stir fry until aromatic, then mix all the ingredients well.
- Pour in combined seasoning. Stir fry until the sauce thickens. Lastly, add in spring onions.
- Scoop gong pao chicken over steamed rice. Garnish with peanuts. Serve immediately.