Lovely pork ribs, Chinese yam soup with a twist. Just with addition of some Hawthorne slices [dried Hawthorne slices or Shan Zha [山楂 ] in Chinese. Available at Chinese medical shops. Some impressive benefits of Hawthorne slices are its anti-inflammatory properties, antioxidants, aid digestion, may lower blood pressure, decrease blood fats etc.
- How to wash pork ribs? - Rub pork ribs with cornflour, then rinse with water several times. Drained.
- Boil pork ribs in a pot of water with a few slices ginger to remove the scums. Remove and rinse well.
- Using a claypot, add in rinsed pork ribs, a few slices ginger, Hawthorne pieces and water. Cover with lid, bring to boil for about 30-40 minutes or until ribs are tender.
- Add in Chinese yam, carrots and wolfberries. Boil for about 15- 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste