If you love thick curry without the usual coconut milk, then this maybe what you like to try. It is not difficult to prepare so long as you add in all the aromatics, seasoning, kaffir leaves and tomatoes. You may not need to follow exactly the quantity of ingredients stated here. And if you like it a bit spicy, add more peppercorns.😁😁😁
- Prepare the ingredients for blending. Blend shallots, garlic, ginger, peppercorns, candlenuts until fine. Remove, set aside. Using the same blender, blend the remaining paste ingredients until fine and add in tumeric powder. Mix well and set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok, saute onions, galangal and lemongrass until aromatic and lightly brown. Add in blended ginger, garlic paste. Continue to fry until fragrant. Add more oil if needed, add in chilli paste. Stir fry until oil separates.
- Add in cut tomatoes, continue to fry until tomatoes are soft and well blended with the fried chilli paste. Add in some salt, stir fry until oil separates before adding the chicken pieces.
- Keep stirring until the chicken pieces are firm and turned whitish, before adding water. Stir to mix well, cover with lid and leave to simmer for about 40 minutes. In between simmering and stirring, add in salt to taste.
- Remove lid, bring to boil, add in the kaffir lime leaves for added aroma. Transfer to a pot. Curry tastes better after resting. Just reheat before serving.