Crunchy lotus roots, tasty and tender pork belly pieces and braised peanuts. The gravy is savoury and aromatic, great to spread over steaming hot rice. The ingredients are easily available and the braised dish is easy to prepare. Overall, it tastes much better are resting and serve hot, it is awesome. It is a dish that can be prepared way ahead of meal time.
Recipe adapted from K L Liew Youtube video with modifications
300 gm pork belly pieces with skin - cut in bite size pieces
200 gm lotus roots - wash and scrape off the fibrous layer of it, slice about 1/2 cm thick slices, soak in a bowl of water until required
1 small can braised peanuts - drain away the sauce
1 piece fermented red beancurd [nam yue]
1 tbsp fermented red beancurd sauce
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp light soy sauce
1 tsp sugar to taste
dash of pepper
some cornflour to coat pork pieces
450-500 ml water
1 tbsp cooking wine
- Marinate pork pieces with some pepper, salt and light soy sauce. Mix well and coat lightly with some cornflour.
- Heat up a non stick wok, add some oil and pan fry pork pieces until lightly brown. Remove from wok.
- Using the same wok, saute garlic until aromatic. Add in lotus roots, stir fry for a minute. Add in fermented beancurd, light soy sauce and dark soy sauce. Give it a good stir. Return fried pork pieces to wok. Continue to fry for 1-2 minutes. Mix well.
- Add in water enough to cover the ingredients. Bring it to a rolling boil for 1-2 minutes. Cover with lid, lower heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until meat pieces are tender and sauce is reduced.
- Add in braised peanuts and and wine. Cook over high heat until sauce is thick. Remove to serve.