I prepared this delicious Chinese style fried chicken to serve with rice. Just this dish is enough to enjoy a meal for lunch or dinner. The chicken is succulent, just tender and has a bite. The meat tastes sweet, savoury and flavourful. The sauce is slightly spicy with the addition of ginger and dried chillies. I love the aromatics of this dish.
Overall, a simple, delicious and appetising dish that you wouldn't mind preparing it often. For this dish, I suggest to use free range chicken as the meat texture would be better for braising.
1/2 a free range chicken - cut bite size pieces
1 potato - peeled, cut wedges
1 thumb size ginger - sliced
2-3 dried red chillies - rinsed and cut half
1 red chilli - seeded, cut into pieces
1 green chilli - seeded, cut into pieces
4-5 cloves garlic - peeled, cut into pieces
1-2 stalks spring onions - cut into sections
1 tbsp cooking wine
1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce [hoong sau soy sauce]
1-2 tbsp light soy sauce [good quality soy sauce]
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp oyster sauce
- Blanch chicken pieces with some ginger slices to remove the scums. Rinse with clean water. Set aside.
- Heat up a non stick wok, add in oil, swirl oil around the wok several times. Remove oil. Reheat wok, add in 1 tbsp oil, add in ginger slices followed by chicken pieces and potatoes. Stir fry over high heat to bring out the fragrance of the chicken meat and ginger slices and until slightly brown.
- Add in cooking wine and dried chillies, continue to fry, then add in hoong sau dark soy sauce. Keep stirring until the chicken pieces are well coated with the sauce.
- Add in light soy sauce and garlic, stir fry for awhile before adding some salt and pepper to taste. Add in hot water, bring to boil and cover with lid. Leave to braise over high heat for 5-6 minutes or until water is reduced. Add in oyster sauce.
- Continue to fry until the sauce thicken. Throw in the spring onions, stir fry over high heat until the sauce is almost dry or with some sauce to spread over rice.
- Dish up to serve immediately with rice and sliced cucumbers.