It is not the first time that I cooked this rice dish using Embryo Rice. I have not shared this rice dish earlier as I did not take some step-by step pictures of it to share with readers here.
Just love this One Dish Meal recipe and would not mind preparing it often. It is a simple, quick and easy to follow recipe, yet the result is more than satisfactory. You would not stop at just eating a bowl of it as it is really delicious, tasty and fragrant. Smells really good and tastes awesome.
I believe children and the elderly would love this rice for its aroma and taste. If you have the time to prepare a soup, feel free to do it or serve it with some sliced cucumber will suffice.
250 gm Embryo rice or any white rice - washed and drained
Here, I have used only 1 deboned chicken whole leg, but you can certainly used more up to 2 pieces of it. You can also used any parts of the chicken. For the rice, I used Kurau Embryo Rice from Kuala Kurau Rice Mill.
1-2 deboned whole chicken leg - cut bite size pieces
1-2 stalks of spring onions - cut long sections
some chopped spring onions and red chillies for garnishing
1 knob ginger - sliced [use more if you love ginger]
3-5 cloves garlic - peeled and sliced
40 ml sesame seed oil
250 ml hot water or according to your usual measurement to cook rice
2 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp cooking wine
1.5 tbsp dark soy sauce
1/2 tsp chicken stock granules
a few dashes of white pepper
1 tsp salt to taste
- Heat a non stick wok, add sesame oil [about 40-60 ml], fry ginger until aromatic over medium heat. Then add in the chicken pieces. Continue to stir until chicken pieces have firmed up and turns whitish.
- Add in the garlic, continue stirring as you add in the seasoning ingredient. It smells really good with the combination of sesame oil with ginger and garlic.
- Add in the uncooked rice, stir to combine. If it is not to dark in colour, add in a bit more dark soy sauce for colour.
- Dish up the fried rice into a steaming tray. Add 250 ml hot water and slightly more if necessary. Stir to mix well.
- Bring water to boil in a steamer, place fried rice mixture in the steamer and steam over high heat for about 35-40 minutes or until rice cooks through. Stir rice after water is almost dry. Sprinkle some more water if the rice is not cooked through.
- Cover to steam until rice is cooked. Remove cover, stir in the spring onions for added aroma and fragrance.
- Put back cover, off heat and leave until serving time. Serve with chopped spring onions and cut chillies or chilli sauce.