Came across this curry [Indonesian Curry Chicken] shared on You-tube. I am not sure if this is an authentic recipe but definitely is a family home-cooked recipe. Normally, I prepared curries with less gravy. But having in mind to cook a curry to serve with spaghetti [Angel Hair Spaghetti], I cooked this curry.
- Prepare the aromatics, chicken and potatoes as in the recipe and pictures.
- Mix curry powder, tumeric powder and chilli paste with some water into a paste.
- Marinate chicken pieces with some salt. Set aside.
- Heat a non stick wok, add in some oil to fry potatoes until lightly brown. Dish up and set aside.
- Using the same wok, add in more oil. Saute cinnamon, cloves, star anise, garlic, ginger and curry leaves until aromatic. Add in chopped onions and shallots, continue to fry until aromatics are lightly brown and fragrant.
- Add in curry paste, continue to fry over medium heat until oil separates [takes above 10 minutes]. Add some water if paste is too thick and difficult to fry.
- Lower heat, add in the chicken pieces. Stir to coat chicken pieces with the fried paste and until meat pieces are firm and white. Add in about 1.5 to 2 cups water. Stir to mix, add in fried potatoes. Bring to boil, cover with lid and leave to cook for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender [when potatoes are tender, chicken meat is usually cooked].
- Remove lid, turn to medium heat, add in santan and seasoning to taste. Add in some extra curry leaves.
- Bring to boil, off heat. Leave to rest for some time before serving. Curry tastes better after resting.