This is a simple recipe, easy to follow. I have changed the cooking method to pan fry instead of deep frying which requires more oil. I have also doubled the portion for the orange sauce to spread over rice. The sauce is tangy, not overly sweet. An appetising dish to eat with rice, suitable for young who loves fried and sweet stuff. The fried chicken breast is tender and succulent, not dry.
300 gm chicken breast [skin removed] - cut cubes
1 cucumber - seeded and cut wedges
some shredded orange skin
Marinade For Chicken
1 tsp orange juice
1 tsp light soy sauce
1 tsp cooking wine
dash of pepper
1 tsp cornflour
some potato starch to coat chicken cubes [optional]
Orange Sauce Ingredients
160 ml orange juice [from 3-4 oranges]
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp mirin
salt to taste
1 tsp cornflour + 1 tsp water
- Marinate chicken cubes with marinade. Mix well until water is well absorbed. Leave for 30 minutes. Set Aside.
- Heat up a non stick wok, add enough oil to pan fry the chicken pieces. Fry until golden brown over medium heat. Dish up.
- Using a clean, bring orange juice and orange rind to boil with sugar and a bit of salt. Boil until bubbly over low heat. Add in chicken cubes and cucumber. Continue to stir fry until until cucumbers are cooked.
- Thicken with cornstarch water. Stir until chicken pieces are well coated with sauce.
- Dish up to serve. Sprinkle some sesame seeds.