One braised meat dish with addition of tofu puffs. It is a normal braised meat with caramel sugar but tofu puffs. The braised meat is sweet and savoury and aromatic. Great dish to prepare ahead of meal time. Dish tastes better with resting where the tofu puffs are tasty after absorbing the flavours of the sauce.
- Heat a non stick wok with oil, removed oil. Using the wok, slowly pan fry pork belly pieces until brown or charred. Remove from wok.
- Add a heaped tablespoon of sugar, fry until bubbly and a nice caramel colour. Lower heat to prevent caramel from being burnt.
- Add in fried pork belly pieces, continue to fry until the meat pieces are nicely colour by the caramel.
- Add aromatics [ginger, bay leaves, small red chillies or dried chillies, spring onions and star anise]. Add in enough water [or use a can of beer] bring to boil for several minutes. Cover with lid and continue to cook over medium heat for about 30 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- Meanwhile, place the tofu puffs in a claypot.
- Remove wok cover, turn to high heat then add in garlic and seasoning. Stir to mix well. Pour braised meat over tofu puffs. Cover claypot, bring to boil for another 5-10 minutes to allow the tofu puffs to absorb the braising sauce.
- Off heat, garnish with coriander leaves or chopped spring onions to serve. This dish tastes better after resting. To serve, reheat to serve with rice or porridge.