After preparing the vegetarian version of this soup [Recipe Here], I cooked this non-vegetarian version as I love the black eyed peas and the clear soup. The soup is as tasty, nutritious and delicious as the vegetarian version. It is a versatile kind of soup where you can plus or minus some of the ingredients for this soup. The most important ingredient is the Black Eyed Peas.
A quarter chicken [skin removed] - cut bite size pieces
150 gm fresh fuchok or 50 gm dried fuchok [soaked and cut into sections]
100 gm black eye peas
4-5 red dates - seeded
4-5 dried mushrooms - soaked and cut half
a few slices of ginger
some chopped coriander
1 litre water or more
salt, pepper and mushroom granules to taste
- Rinse peas with hot water for 1-2 times, drained and then soaked in hot water for 1 hour or until hot water is warm or cooled. Drain and set aside. Tips: can soak in water and leave in freeze until required.
- Blanch chicken in boiling water for a minute or so. Drain and rinse.
- Bring water to boil. Add in black eyed peas and ginger slices, boil for 10 minutes before adding all other ingredients except fuchok.
- Bring to boil, then simmer over medium low heat until peas are tender. Add in fuchok.
- Bring to boil, add more water if preferred. Add seasoning to taste. Simmer over low heat for another 5-10 minutes to bring out the flavours. Off heat.
- Scoop soup into soup bowl. Serve hot.