This is an easy and simple dish but awesome. Eggplant cooked this way is tasty, appetising and delicious. It is a quick cook dish. Nice dish to serve with rice. The savoury, sweet braising sauce and fragrant aroma of the ginger blend well with the pan fried eggplant pieces. Eggplant fried this way retains the nice vibrant purple colour.
It is alright to fry until the skin is slightly charred, so long as it still has the nice purplish colour. Looks good and tastes good.
200 gm eggplant - washed and cut wedges
some chopped coriander
Braising Sauce [combined]
1-2 tbsp finely chopped ginger
1.5 tbsp light soy sauce
1-1.5 tbsp sugar to taste
some water enough to cover the eggplant
- Cut eggplant into wedges and coat with some salt, cornstarch and some oil.
- Combined the braising sauce in a bowl.
- Heat up a non stick pan. Fry eggplant in a single layer until almost tender. Stir or flip them once or twice.
- Pour in the braising sauce. Stir fry to mix, then add in some water.
- Bring to boil until eggplant is almost soft and gravy is of thick consistency.
- Dish up, garnish with chopped coriander.