Simple tofu dish that is so easy to prepare yet appetisingly good and tasty. It is so aromatic with the fried lemongrass that I just wanted to serve it right away, not attempting to plate the tofu pieces nicely. A dish worth trying.
It is suitable for all ages. The tasty sauce is great for rice. Quite an addictive dish if you love tofu. Nice vegetarian dish [just omit the fish sauce, replace by light soy sauce].
2 pieces tofu - each cut into 6 pieces
2-3 stalks of lemongrass - white part only - finely chopped
1 small red chilli-chopped small pieces [more if you like it spicy]
some chopped coriander
1/2 tbsp sugar
20 ml each light soy sauce and fish sauce
1/4 tsp mushroom stock granules
60 ml water
- Soak tofu pieces in water with 1 tsp salt for 30 minutes or you can do this earlier and leave in fridge until required.
- Drain before using, cut each piece into 6 small pieces.
- Heat a non stick wok, add oil to pan fry tofu pieces until golden brown on both sides. Remove and set aside.
- Remove excess oil leaving enough to fry lemongrass and red chillies until aromatic. Add in fried tofu pieces.
- Pour in combined seasoning and water. Stir to mix well, then bring to boil for a minute.
- Dish up to serve. Garnish with chopped coriander.