Soft, fluffy home-made steamed large 'bak paus'. Not difficult to make in your home kitchen yet the whole family can enjoy steaming hot paus right from the steamer. 😋😋😋. Read through this post and don't be afraid to give it a try. Looking at the fluffy paus , you will not regret the efforts put in but give yourself a 'Thumbs Up'.
Ingredients Pau Skin Dough
[makes about 8-10 paus]
300 gm pau flour
4 gm instant yeast
40 gm castor sugar
180-200 ml lukewarm water
or slightly more [add gradually if dough is too dry]
1 tsp shortening [optional]
- Mix 1 tsp sugar with some water in a cup or bowl. Sprinkle in yeast, stir until dissolved and leave for 1 minute or so. It should be smooth and frothy.
- Gradually pour into flour, mix into a rough dough. Gradually add in remaining water and knead into a soft rough dough. You may need some extra water if dough is too dry. Cover, leave to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Add shortening if using, knead dough for another 5-10 minutes until soft, smooth and pliable. Shape into a ball. Place in the mixing bowl, cover to rest for 20 minutes or until double in size.
- Punch down dough, then roll into round. Divide into 8-10 equal portions [depending on how big is the pau you wish to make] and roll into balls.
- Flatten each portion into a circle. Flatten the edges, the centre should be thicker than the edges. Place filling [minced meat and a piece of hardboiled egg in the centre. Gather the edges together to seal to make a round pau or pleat the edges into a pau shape.
- Place on parchment paper and steaming tray. Finish doing the rest. Proof for about 20-30 minutes or until double in size.
- Place steaming tray over rapidly boiling. Cover to steam for 15-20 minutes [larger paus]. Off heat, leave in steamer and remove paus only after 5 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack or serve immediately.
Minced Meat Filling
350 gm minced meat with some fats
chopped spring onions
chopped spring onions
200 ml water [add to meat in several additions]
2-3 hard-boiled eggs - quartered
1 tbsp dark soy sauce [for colour]
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp 5 spice powder [5 gm]
1-1.5 tsp white pepper powder [5-7 gm]
2 gm sugar
10 gm salt
5 gm grated ginger [optional]
1 tbsp cooking wine [optional]
- Add seasoning to minced meat. First, used fingers to stir the ingredients. Leave to season for 5-10 minutes, then start to incorporate the water into meat mixture in batches.
- Add about 30 ml water each time and lightly stir in clockwise direction with your fingers until the water is absorbed. Continue this process until all the water is used up. You will noticed the minced meat looks fluffy, light and more volume. Purpose of mixing with water is to make the filling juicy and jelly like. Can set aside in room temperature for at least 2 hours.
- Add chopped spring onions just before wrapping.
I don't make paus that are satisfactory enough like store bought but I believe in practice makes perfect. Do try to mak them at home. You may succeed in making light, fluffy paus with numerous wonderful fillings.