Yummy braised chicken thighs, drumsticks or wings. Great dish to serve as One Dish Meal with or without some fresh salads or sliced cucumber and tomatoes. The choice is yours. It is suitable for the young and old.
The chicken pieces can be braised till the sauce is thick and aromatic. The sauce tastes savoury sweet with an option of a tangy taste by adding a squeeze of lime juice [according to own preference].
Another plus point of this recipe is that you can prepare it way ahead of meal time as it tastes better after resting. For individual serving, just reheat a portion [a drumstick/chicken wing with some gravy] over a plate of rice by steaming.
3 pieces chicken wings - keep whole
3 pieces chicken drumsticks - keep whole
some cut spring onions
some toasted sesame seeds
lime juice - optional
Aromatics and Seasoning
1 star anise
2-3 cloves garlic
4-5 slices of ginger
1 inch piece cinnamon stick
2-3 bay leaves
1 tbsp rock sugar or more
3 tbsp light soy sauce
1/2-1 tsp dark soy sauce
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp cooking wine
1/2 tsp 5 spice powder
- Wash chicken pieces, make a few slits on the meat side.
- Blanch chicken pieces in hot boiling water. Rinse well.
- Heat some oil in a wok, saute aromatics until aromatic. Add water and seasoning. Bring to boil and add in the chicken pieces, top with more water to cover them.
- Bring to boil, reduce to medium heat. Cover with lid and braise for 10-15 minutes, stir to ensure even cooking.
- Remove lid, continue to braise until chicken pieces are tender [about 10 minutes] and sauce is of thick consistency [add more water if you prefer more gravy].
- Remove on serving plate, garnish with some toasted sesame seeds and spring onions.